Monday, August 13, 2012

 

A purposeless road trip


“Are we there yet?” 

Apparently, in many cases the answer will be “No” for the duration of the trip.

According to a study by a provider of car insurance and Populus, out of more than 20,000 motorists, 55% have gone for a drive – just to have a drive.

Getting behind the wheel solely to commune with the road is not uncommon – 10% of the people surveyed did it every week. 

I’ll have to admit, I’ve never got into my car when I didn’t have a destination in mind.  For one thing, I wouldn’t know where to go, and for another thing, fuel is too expensive to be driving without a goal.

Yet, ignoring the expense of filling up the tank, I think having a lack of scenic routes has a big part to play in my lack of aimless motoring.

I believe my point is proven by the statistics.  In Northern Ireland, Scotland and North East England, more than 60% of people have just gone for a drive – whereas only 47% of Londoners have bothered taking such a purposeless trip.

I know that driving past impressive natural scenery would be much more likely to get me into my car than pavements and office blocks.  Still, I suppose not having a green and pleasant land on my doorstep is saving me money.

Photo © Nature Pictured by ForestWander via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home