Monday, July 11, 2011

 

Vanilli comeback, you know it’s true. But did anyone miss you?


Does the day on which you are born hold augurs for what your future will hold? I for one certainly hope not.

Which cataclysmic event did I soundtrack my first infant cries? With what peeling of bells from on high did the world celebrate my arrival?

The answer: none, and none.

You see, unlike my dad, who, as he likes to tell practically everyone he meets, was born into the exultant peace of 1945’s VE Day celebrations, I was born on an entirely inauspicious day, November 15, 1990.

Instead, I, beetroot-red and stunned by the light of the outside world, lip-synced to the indignant howls of the world’s music press at the news of the fraud of Milli Vanilli.

Yes, Milli Vanilli, the erstwhile Grammy-winning pop duo who, it emerged on the day of my birth, had never between them sung a note in earnest.

Outed as lip-syncing frauds, they want on to endure notoriety and eventually, in a tragic twist, the suicide of Milli.

But, in a new twist that must in some way be entwined with my fate it has been announced that Vanilli, now solo, has been working on a comeback album.

But what can it mean? What can it augur? My hope is that, with my car insurance due for renewal on the day of my birthday, I’m going to get a nice retro 1990-style quote.

Image © Alan Light via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home