Wednesday, June 1, 2011

 

What do kids know about road safety anymore?

Do you know your Green Cross Code? I asked my little sister about it the other day (she’s 12) and she said she didn’t know what it was.

Yet, I remember being taught it at primary school (the same school as her – I was a pupil six years earlier) and was even part of a Green Cross Road quiz team which made it to the regional round of a national road safety competition.

The reason it came into my mind was because, as a young driver who’s constantly on the look out for road hazards, I recently came across a group of kids who just ran into the road without looking and I was forced to slam on my brakes so I wouldn’t hit them.

Luckily, I was driving well under the speed limit and, as I watched them running along the pavement a few metres ahead of me, I had a sneaky suspicion that they weren’t going to “stop, look and listen” before attempting to cross the road.

I was right!

As I screeched to a halt and let out a massive “phew” because no car accident had occurred and my young driver car insurance would not be compromised, I thought to myself, “Just what are they teaching the kids in schools these days?”

Then I realised I sounded like my mum and decided to drive on peacefully, vowing to always look and listen out for all road users.

And for anyone who’s interested you can find out about the Green Cross Code by clicking here.

Image © fiskfisk via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home