Friday, July 6, 2012

 

Musical motion sickness


Do you get car sick when you have to play passenger to another driver? Perhaps you get sea sick and hate having to drive your car onto a ferry?

Well, award-winning British designer Sarah Davenport may well have created a new type of sickness – piano sickness.

The designer made a rocking piano called Chi Chi several years ago, which wobbles back and forth like a boat when a pianist is sat at the keys and is getting into the swing of things.

 It’s a baby grand, inside a specially cut wooden sleigh-shaped frame, and it’s apparently expected to be sold for £1500 at a John Pye and Sons auction in Nottingham which starts at the end of this week.

One of the employees at John Pye and Sons stated, “I was very excited when I found out we had the piano up for auction.

“I’m a self-taught pianist but I can play well so I got straight on and had a go – and nearly fell off because I wasn’t ready for it to rock!”

I have a feeling that playing on a rocking piano might be quite distracting. People watching a performance might even start getting a bit motion sick…  

Photo © kyphilosopher via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home