Monday, November 14, 2011

 

A mini roundabout conundrum


Have you ever approached a mini roundabout at exactly the same time as the motorists on the other available exits and found that everyone comes to a standstill?

The first time I experienced this oddity I was, thankfully, having a driving lesson, so my instructor could guide me through the conundrum which lay before me.

I was giving way to my right, and the car on my right was giving way to the car on their right who was giving way to me. And of course I wasn’t moving because I was busy being a good driver and giving way to my right.

“Someone’s got to go”, driving instructor explained, “otherwise we’ll all be sat here forever waiting for each other.”

Eventually the motorist to my right decided to make the first move and eventually everything was back to normal and traffic was flowing again.

But it made me realise how a lot of the things you learn about driving, you only really learn once you’ve passed your practical driving test and gained some more experience of the road.

That’s why it’s so important that some insurers make cheaper insurance quotes available to young drivers, because if they can’t afford the cover they might not get back onto the roads until much later on in their lives and by that point they’ll have missed out on years of useful motoring experience.

Photo © bravediggs via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home