Monday, October 31, 2011

 

Piling on the years


Last week was my secondary school reunion. It’s odd to think that it is now more than ten years since my pals and I were still living at home dreaming about the freedom of becoming young drivers, fearing for our A-level results and complaining to our parents that they couldn’t possibly know how it feels.

Although many of us have been to university, most of us have jobs and some of us even have spouses and young children, we’re all still youthful and have a few years to go before we hit the 30 landmark.

However, I was surprised to see just how many of us have put on weight. I confess, now that I’m no longer running round the football pitch three times a week and now search for cheap car insurance quotes rather than frantically try to find my student bus pass, I do have something of a small paunch.

I promised my girlfriend and my personal trainer brother that I’d address it over the summer, but summer has now been and gone, and the paunch is still there.

Still, it’s not nearly as considerable as some of the girth on show at the reunion last Friday, so I take heart.

I also take encouragement from the fact that a personal trainer has gone public on his decision to put on weight in order to better understand his overweight clients.

In just six months he has put on a staggering five-stone, all through “no exercise and eating” and “the typical American diet: Chips, juice, cereal, soda, pizza etc.”

It’s going to be interesting to see how quickly he manages to shed his extra weight. The race is on – I certainly hope to shift my one spare tyre before he’s shifted his five.

Photo © Mike_fleming via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home