Wednesday, June 30, 2010

 

Hoot if you hate the vuvuzela!

Hoot! Hoot! Hoot! Hoot! Hoot! Hoot! Hooooooooooooooot! No this is not the sound of Hoot car insurance blowing its own trumpet, nor is it the mating call of an unreconstructed male, nor is it the sound of the world's angriest traffic jam.

It is, in fact, the sound of the vuvuzela; ubiquitous to the living rooms of Britain ever since the start of the 2010 World Cup – and isn't it horrible?

I don't mean to sound culturally insensitive to an ancient cultural tradition – after all it's been blowing people up the wrong way since the 1970s – but I must admit that I've been enjoying the World Cup in spite of, not because of, the horrific horn.

And what of the madcap souls who actually buy and blow the things. If I'd spent hundreds of pounds on a World Cup match ticket the last thing I'd be doing is placing a ruddy great horn square in front of my face, obstructing my line of sight while also sending my hearing to high heaven.

Let's just hope it doesn't become a staple of all football matches in the future.

Image © Eustaquio Santimano via Flickr under Creative Commons Licence

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home