Friday, December 9, 2011

 

Getting onto the motorway


When I was taking my driving lessons I found ‘A’ roads frightening enough to tackle with my instructor next to me, so I can well imagine that there is some merit in the new scheme coming into effect next year.

Apparently, road safety minister Mike Penning has stated that soon learner drivers will be allowed to go onto motorways as long as they have a qualified instructor with them. 

The aim of this initiative is to familiarise learners with the 70mph (perhaps eventually 80mph) speed limit and the motorway layouts, so that their risk of suffering an accident on these roads once they pass their practical test is reduced.

The head of road safety at the AA stated, “This is good news. It will end the ludicrous situation where people can live near a network of motorways and pass their test without ever having been on one.”

I have to say I agree.  The first time I went onto the motorway I had to take my dad with me for support and almost missed my exit because I suddenly forgot how to change lanes through fear of the high speed I was traveling at.

Exactly when this scheme will begin hasn’t been reported, but I have a feeling learner drivers will really appreciate the experience.  I know I would have.

Photo © Firing up the quattro… via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home